|1. active and passive structures|
1. They built this museum in 1440.
2. Americans speak English.
3. A friend of mine is fixing my computer and laptop.
4. This movie will change your opinion about men.
5. My boss gave a 5-day vacation this month.
1. This museum was built in 1440.
2. English is spoken in America.
3. My computer and laptop are being fixed by my friend.
4. Your opinion about men will be changed by this movie.
5. A 5-day vacation was given by my boss for me.
|Explanation: When A does something to B often there are two ways|
to talk about it. First, we use the active verb that is;if we want
A-the doer of the action to be the subject. For example, in the samples;
built, speak,is fixing,will change, gave. The other is if we want B-
the receiver of the action to be the subject we use was built, is spoken,
are being fixed,will be changed and was given.
The object of an active verb corresponds to the subject of a passive verb.
|Active : They built this museum in 1440. --> this museum = is the object|
Passive: This museum was built in 1440.--> this museum = is the subject
|Active : Americans speak English.--> English - is the object|
Passive: English is spoken in America.--> English = is the subject
|Active: A friend of mine is fixing my computer and laptop.|
= my computer and laptop - is the object
Passive: My computer and laptop are being fixed by my friend.
= my computer and laptop - is the subject
|Note : The subject of an active verb is not expressed in the corresponding|
passive sentence in most cases. If it does need to be expressed, this happens
usually in an expression with "by": the noun is called "agent".
© 2008-2018 Matsuesoft Corporation